WOTY 2009 nominations

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 8 21:31:24 UTC 2010

There is a problem with "teabagger" as well--two, actually. The term was
initially a self-description, as has been discussed here previously, and
was not considered derogatory. It did acquire this sense with
anti-teabaggers, for obvious reasons. Furthermore, "teabaggers" are not
anti-Obama per se. They are generally opposed to all government spending
programs, including, in particular, those favored by the Obama
administration such as the "stimulus package" (that alone should be
another WOTY candidate, or "stimulus"), "Obamacare" (any congressional
heath-care reform proposal--real or imagined--and perhaps another WOTY
candidate). Teabagger groups have evolved from being largely fringe
elements gathered from among Ron Paul and Lyndon LaRouche supporters, to
the latest incarnation of apparent fiscal ultra-conservatives within the
Republican party who target Republican candidates that they perceive as
insufficiently conservative. The former groups were largely close to
grass roots, although encouraged by some Fox News personalities, while
the latter are sponsored and organized by more traditional conservative
interest groups. The bottom line is that the terminology on both sides
has evolved with the social dynamics. Either way, the current WOTY
phrasing is inaccurate.

I am also not convinced that "tether" should be on the "least likely to
succeed" list. The expression is quite common. Again, the meaning is a
bit too narrowly defined. It is used as a euphemism for both wired and
invisible connections, e.g., "He's permanently tethered to his laptop."
You will also occasionally hear "umbilical cord" in the same meaning.

     VS-)