WOTY 2009 nominations

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Fri Jan 8 21:51:56 UTC 2010

On 8 Jan 2010, at 13:16, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> Greetings from Baltimore. Grant Barrett has posted the results of last
> night's nominating session for Word of the Year / Word of the Decade
> here:
>
> http://www.americandialect.org/2009-WOTY-Final-Nominations.pdf
>
> The final vote will take place this evening at 5:30.

Is "tether" really supposed to be nominated in "*least* likely to succeed"? It's part of my and many of my friends' unremarkable everyday vocabulary, though sometimes with a slightly larger meaning. For example, I just made a time-lapse video using a still camera tethered to a laptop (and controlled via software running on the laptop).

Me, I'd put it in "most likely to succeed".

Chris

--
Chris Waigl -- http://chryss.eu -- http://eggcorns.lascribe.net
twitter: chrys -- friendfeed: chryss