Mark Twain quote about his father's surprising maturation (antedating attrib circa 1915) (req paper verification)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 8 21:59:57 UTC 2010

A similar quote can be found in another 1930 publication (also snippet
view):

http://bit.ly/4PC0Gc
Selected readings in character education By Dennis Clayton Troth, p. 355

Unfortunately, the snippet does not offer the attribution, as I was not
searching for "Twain":

""...he could hardly stand to be in his father's presence because his
father was so old-fashioned and ignorant; about three years later he
noticed that now and then his father said a sensible thing; about five
years later he was amazed to discover how his father had improved in the
last eight years..."

A different search led to another reference the same book and the quote
here *is* attributed to Mark Twain:

"Mark Twain once said that when he was a young man he could hardly stand
it to
... five years later he was amazed to discover how his father had
improved in
..."

It's a bit more cryptic, but it does appear to be the same page (355)
and the snippet does show what appears to be the very top of the first
line of the quote above (the actual quoted text is from the search
results page). Combining the two citations appears to result in the same
attribution.

The *exact* same quote as the Journal of Social Hygiene (except for the
addition of the word "much" after "how") also appears in vol. 63 of
Journal of proceedings and lectures (National Education Association of
the United States, p. 419). Google claims the volume is from 1925.
http://bit.ly/89J0Co

I tried several variations of the search with different strings matching
parts of the quotation and only came up with these three.

     VS-)