Proprietary WOTY and WOTD

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Sat Jan 9 00:31:45 UTC 2010

        Surprisingly to me, both the WOTY, "tweet," and the WOTD,
"Google," are both proprietary marks.  I don't know if this fact was
discussed at the ADS meeting.

        According to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, TWEET (I use
all caps in accordance with common usage in this area) is a registered
service mark owned by Twitter, Inc., serial number 77715815, with a
filing date of April 16, 2009.  The date of first use in commerce is not
listed.  It is a service mark rather than a trademark because it is used
in connection with services, not goods.

        There are a number of registrations involving the GOOGLE mark,
but the principal ones are for the initial service mark and trademark.
The service mark record shows a first use in commerce of 19970900, a
filing date of September 16, 1999, serial number 75978469, and a
registration date of January 20, 2004, registration number 2806075.  The
trademark record shows a first use in commerce of 20000126, a filing
date of September 16, 1998, serial number 75554461, and a registration
date of September 14, 2004, registration number 2884502.  Both are owned
by Google Inc.  Google.com was registered as an Internet domain on
September 15, 1997, which actually predates the 9/14/1998 formation of
Google Inc.'s predecessor corporation, Google Technology Inc.

John Baker