least likely to succeed? really?

Sun Jan 10 03:34:39 UTC 2010

Stunt Dick has been around for years, growing out of the pornography industry. A S.D. is the erect penis of a person who is employed to have his groin used in close-ups when the star's member fails to stand up as needed. Should have been "most outrageous word of 1989 had ADS been doing the Word of the Year festival back then.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 21:16:51
To: <ronbutters at aol.com>
Subject: Re: least likely to succeed? really?

Ron's use of "stunt word" reminds me of something that I heard back in
the '80's.

A now-forgotten, black TV actor, guesting on some now-forgotten show,
was explaining how it came to pass that he had lost weight:

"When I saw myself on the show, I said, 'That can't be *my* ass! It
must be a_stunt butt_!"

So far,_stunt butt_ and_stunt word_ are the only two instances of
this that I've come across in the wild. I leave the Googling - or
Microsoft- Binging, as may be preferred - as an exercise for the
reader.

-Wilson

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM,  <ronbutters at aol.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       ronbutters at AOL.COM
> Subject:      Re: least likely to succeed? really?
>
> OK, thanks for the data. Maybe "most unnecessary" would have been a better choice. But I do see now that people are sometimes using TRUTHINESS as something other than a stunt word. See, for example, <http://gawker.com/5407316/palins-camp-fights-back-over-accusations-of-truthiness-in-going-rogue>.  Maybe ADS+Merriam+Colbert were actually successful in adding the word to commonplace vocabulary.

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain