Kryponite and garlic

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 10 11:57:17 UTC 2010

Reminds me a little of a story Ken Pike used to tell about his
monolingual demonstrations.    Pike used to demonstrate field
methodology as shtick by asking an audience to produce a speaker of a
language Pike knew nothing of.  He would then, speaking only Mixtec
and gesture, elicit vocabulary and grammar and in about forty-five
minutes sketch a phonology and grammar of the language.  He enjoyed
telling how once at Harvard he was set up, and the informant had been
prompted to respond only with descriptions, not with single lexical
items.

Not as good as Chagnon's, though.

Herb