Antedating of "Junior High School"

Mon Jan 11 14:56:01 UTC 2010

Wouldn't a better place to look be education books and journals of the 1900s? I'd think that there would have been a good deal of theoretical discussion before a political body took action.

Just curious about the methodology here
------Original Message------
From: Baker, John
Sender: ADS-L
To: ADS-L
ReplyTo: ADS-L
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Antedating of "Junior High School"
Sent: Jan 11, 2010 8:00 AM

Most of the newspaper examples are too brief to be sure what is intended, though it is usually clear that there is a Junior High School involved.  According to http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=2691, the first junior high school was authorized in Columbus, Ohio in 1909, which would seem to support Doug's point.  I don't know how reliable that source may be.

However, I note that the newspaper examples all seem to be from Ohio (although Doug's 1904 Google Books example is from New York State).  At a minimum, that seems to suggest that "junior high school" was an established term in Ohio in 1909, even if there were aspects of the Columbus approach that were novel.

John Baker