Antedating of "Junior High School"

Mon Jan 11 20:07:54 UTC 2010

I went to "junior high school" 1952-1955 and "senior high school" in 1956-1958 in the SAME building. The terms were used informally, but the school administration was unitary, and there seemed little of any pedagogical significance to the difference-no more than the difference between "ninth grade" and "tenth grade."
------Original Message------
From: Douglas G. Wilson
Sender: ADS-L
To: ADS-L
ReplyTo: ADS-L
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Antedating of "Junior High School"
Sent: Jan 10, 2010 11:02 PM

--

Some of these are ambiguous, and I think most or all of the pre-1900
examples refer to something different from what is now called "junior

At G-books, there is a 1904 example which explicitly refers to years
7-8, similar to the modern sense (although here not obviously involving
a separate school building or administration):

http://tinyurl.com/ycu4e9w

Some of the earlier examples _may_ have the same sense, but I haven't
seen one I'm sure of.

-- Doug Wilson