Antedating of "Junior High School"

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Jan 12 15:13:02 UTC 2010

My methodology was simply to look at a source (Access Newspaper Archive)
to see if earlier examples of "junior high school" were available, in
contexts where it seemed likely that a standalone junior high school was
being discussed.  Schools are a traditional concern of newspapers, and
it seemed likely that, if junior high schools predated the cited
examples, they would be discussed.  I had not fully considered the
possibility that these "junior high schools" might be a different beast,
and even now it seems likely to me that some sort of continuity of use
was involved.  It also seemed likely to me that more obvious sources
would already have been canvassed.

Some of these assumptions may require reexamination, including the
supposition that obvious sources, such as Google Books, would already
have been checked.  From Historical Sketches of Public Schools in
Cities, Villages and Townships of the State of Ohio (1876), apparently
prepared by the Ohio State Centennial Educational Committee, on page 15
of the separately enumerated section addressing Toledo:

<<The senior high school, the senior grammar school, and one district
school, have male principals.  The junior high school, two junior
grammar schools, one intermediate and eleven district schools, have lady
principals.  Of the whole 126 teachers, fifteen are gentlemen; ten being
Germans.>>

Exactly what is meant by "junior high school," in these and other early
examples, is hard to say, but I am skeptical that a junior high school
was really such a new thing when Columbus first authorized one in 1909.

John Baker