must of have??

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 13 01:12:26 UTC 2010

I agree with Charlie. It strikes me as a fairly ordinary BE/SE(?)
thang. What I actually hear in BE is "mussa" [m^s@], which my
intuition tells me was originally _must at _ from _must've_. Strangely,
for a lot of BE speakers, the ancient rule that took "master" to
[m&s@] still lives, even across a word boundary. The replacement of
"mister" [mIs.t@] by [mIs@] is commonplace.

"You joned wit' Hambone (Edgar [eg:@] McGrew, a "bad muthafukka" who
pretended that a performance of the hambone in his presence was
insulting)?! Damn, man! Yew _mussa_ have [h&@] done los' yo' min'!"

I've noticed that, nowadays, _is_ _ain't_ seem to have replaced _have_
_haven't_. I'm not really surprised, since I was already hearing the
former usage among the hoi polloi back in the '60's. BE changes from
the bottom up, from the country to the city, and from the South to the
North.

-Wilson

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: must of have??
>
> Though the faulty-editing hypothesis is plausible, I gotta say:  The "must of have" (or "musta have") construction does not sound wholly bizarre to me.
>
> --Charlie

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain