McWhorter on "Negro English"

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Jan 13 19:11:12 UTC 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Joel S. Berson asks:

> 1)  Is McWhorter black?

yes.

> 2)  Is there really "the Biblical passage about trying to take a
> speck out of someone's eye when you've got a log in your own"?  I'm a
> non-believer, so I really don't know.  Please cite chapter and verse.

Matthew 7:5 in the KJV:

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye, and then
shalt thou see more  clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's.

[the very next verse has not casting pearls before swine in it]

other translations of Matthew 7:5 have somewhat different wording --
"plank" and "speck" rather than "beam" and "mote", for instance.

arnold