"[chimpanzee] politics"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jan 14 04:33:10 UTC 2010

Jon, there is Frans de Waal's "Chimpanzee politics : power and sex
among apes", first U.S. ed. 1982; a translation
of  "Chimpansee-politiek," apparently also 1982.  I wouldn't be
surprised if he was the coiner, although perhaps someone else has an
article earlier.

I note also that Nicholas Wade had an article in the NYTimes Jan.11
(or Jan. 12 in print?), titled, variously, "Deciphering the Chatter
of Monkeys and Chimps" or "In Monkey Babble, Seeking Key to Human
Language Development ...".  Like the PBSers, Wade too doesn't think
chimps have language.

Joel