(chimpanzee) "politics"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jan 14 14:59:09 UTC 2010

At 1/14/2010 09:29 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>What makes you so sure?

Because you are an intelligent and reasonable man.  And I only said
"suspect".  :-)

More seriously, I don't own and haven't read de Waal's "Chimpanzee
Politics", which presumably goes into some detail. But I do have
"Chimpanzee Cultures" (one of whose editors is de Waal), which is
later and has in its index one entry "politics, chimpanzee, 271-2"
and another "political block, 252" (as in "party" or "faction").  De
Waal writes about "flexible, opportunistic coalition strategies" (p.
252); the table on that page enumerates a number of different
coalitions.  And the section on chimpanzee politics (in a chapter by
Jan A.R.A.M. van Hoof) is headed "Planning, Calculation, and
Reciprocity in Social Manipulation."

Joel