McWhorter on "Negro English"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 15 04:44:54 UTC 2010

At 11:27 PM -0500 1/14/10, Wilson Gray wrote:
>I've not noticed this in BE, myself, though I find it to be quite
>common in the speech of whites.

We have discussed this in the past, I'm pretty
sure--reading Herb's and Wilson's comments I get
the strong feeling of déjà lu, so I'll add what I
no doubt did on other occasions, which is that
I've noticed this retroflexion in the speech
patterns of a number of white New York City area
speakers including those from areas (like Long
Beach on the south shore of Long Island, where I
went to high school) where I didn't notice
hearing it 40 years ago.  A number of speakers
who have the "shchreet" pronunciation seem to be
of Italian-American backgrounds (e.g. both Mike
[Francesa] and the Mad Dog [Chris Russo] back
when they were together on sports talk radio) but
I have no way of knowing whether this was
statistically significant.  On the other hand,
another Italian-American sports talk host on the
same station, Joe Benigno, doesn't (I don't
think) have the retroflex clusters but, on the
other hand, he does have positive "anymore",
which always strikes me as going oddly with his
non-rhotic delivery...

LH