Retroflexion [was: McWhorter on "Negro English"]

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Fri Jan 15 11:22:16 UTC 2010

Retroflexion with the accompanying affrication of the intervening /t/ is a marked feature of all varieties of Hawaiian English as well.  It occasionally shows up in jocular spellings in newspapers, and a couple of 'Pidgin' poets who attempt to represent HE phonology, such as Joe Hadley have written, for example
<shchreeng> for [StSriN].

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)