Retroflexion [was: McWhorter on "Negro English"]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 15 14:57:39 UTC 2010

At 6:22 AM -0500 1/15/10, Geoffrey Nathan wrote:
>Retroflexion with the accompanying affrication of the intervening
>/t/ is a marked feature of all varieties of Hawaiian English as
>well.  It occasionally shows up in jocular spellings in newspapers,
>and a couple of 'Pidgin' poets who attempt to represent HE
>phonology, such as Joe Hadley have written, for example
><shchreeng> for [StSriN].
>
>Geoff

Interesting.  Here I was proud of myself for having just invented the
"shchr..." representation (borrowing from Russian transliterations of
the "shcha" letter of e.g. "Khrushchev") for "shchreet" below when
it's apparently a standard device.  Nothing new under the palate,
evidently.

LH