:-) mostly -- McWhorter on "standard English"

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Fri Jan 15 15:11:42 UTC 2010

> Well, maybe we need to start putting "dialect" in after "Standard
> English". I think I might start putting "Standard American Written
> English dialect" in my composition syllabus to emphasize its
> linguistic parity with Appalachian dialects, Southern dialects, etc.
>
> ---Amy West

I'd concur with this, Amy, but reword as "Standard American Written English
Register."

The wording of the syllabus description would, of course, be
self-referential, being written in SAWER.

Robin Hamilton