Heard on The Judges: _kickback_, n: new meaning

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Jan 16 07:29:37 UTC 2010

Wilson, the noun is in urbandictionary, described
as "small gathering between group of friends,
more than a get together, less than a party (used
in nor-cal central valley)".  And I've associated
"kick back", verb or imperative, with "relax" for quite a while.

Neither is defined in the OED, although it has
two quotations for the verb with this sense, 1988 and 2006.  The 1988 is
"Muscular Devel. Nov. 33/1 After his shows, Mits
always throws a mixer where workers, guest
posers, contestants and Mits himself can kick back and relax."

Joel