copasetic, was Re: [ADS-L] Readex Newspapers

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sat Jan 16 14:01:33 UTC 2010

I, along with many others, searched for copasetic (and copesetic, copacetic,
copecetic, kopasetee and so on) but have found nothing published before 1919,
claimed memories notwithstanding.

Searching included some use of Anatoly Liberman's helpful new A
Bibliography of
English Etymology (U. of Minnesota Press, 2010).

One Google Books result I hadn't seen before is Michael Gold, "Hoboken
Blues, or
the Black Rip van Winkle" in The American Caravan, volume 1 (NY, 1927)
548-626.
[confirmed in a paper copy]

p.572
Dat's copesetic, Barney; wow. (Cuts a caper.)

p.579
Ee-yah, copesetic!

p.580
Ain't it copesetic? (He stops in full flight for a second, looking at her for
approval.)

p.602
Say, won't factories be jes copesetic?

My hypotheses (detailed in the ads-l archives) is that Irving
Bacheller, author
of the widely-read A Man for the Ages (1919) coined the word. It was then
picked up in African American use (especially, early on, in New York).

So, Fred, yes, please, search African-African newspapers for copasetic
(et sim.)
as a test of the hypothesis. Thanks.

The hypothesis can easily be falsified. I wonder, at what point (possible
continued) negative pre-1919 results, along with the positive arguments (e.g.,
the way Bacheller introduced and used copasetic, as well as coralapus) might
lead to acceptance?

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson