Pied noir: an American connection? or maybe not...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 18 16:09:03 UTC 2010

At 10:59 AM -0500 1/18/10, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Is "reclamation" a very recent phenomenon? Offhand, I can't think of
>anything before "black" (ca1969).
>

>JL

I think in political and religious contexts it's
been around for awhile, for example for some of
those -ers we were talking about (Quaker, Shaker)
and their relatives.  And didn't "Whig" and
"Tory" start out as insults? I'm not sure this is
the same phenomenon, but it's close.

LH