Time and banned words

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Jan 18 18:06:22 UTC 2010

I disagree with the suggestion that lists like these show that some people are paying attention to what and how they're speaking.  To the contrary, they almost invariably suggest to me that the compiler is paying no real attention.

In the examples cited below, shovel-ready, transparent/transparency, tweet, and app all have concrete, useful meanings.  For example, financial transactions are said to be transparent when key information about them is immediately available to the public.  Thus, trading in stocks listed on the New York Stock Exchange is transparent, because the price and volume are immediately reported on the consolidated tape, while trading in swaps is not, because there is no similar reporting process.  The objection to these terms really is that the objectors don't want to hear about the topics any more.

Czar I personally don't like, because it almost invariably overstates the real authority of whatever office is referred to.  But, as Jon notes, it's great for headline-writers, so I don't see it going anywhere soon.

John Baker

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Mon 1/18/2010 12:31 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Time and banned words

These annual lists are hardly more than publicity stunts.  Some of the words
are moderately obnxious because they're overused unnecessarily to the point
of cliche'.  Those who use them, apparently, think they're being clever, but
we know better.

Others, like "Tweet," are nearly indispensible, just new and popular.

"Czar" has been around for decades (headline writers love it).  Why should
it be "banned" now?

All very foolish, and I think that more of the publications reprinting the
list are laughing at it than with it.

JL