Pied noir: an American connection? or maybe not...

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 18 22:39:27 UTC 2010

Evidently so. But again, the nickname was more derisive than contemptuous,
or so it seems today.

To enlarge a bit further on recent reclamations.  They seem to have been
"reclaimed" chiefly by postmodernists in fields like "cultural studies."
 How many of them, I wonder, would feel fine about using the words
nonchalantly to persons on the lower slopes of  Trendy Mountain?

Also, "reclamation" is an odd word, since the targeted groups never
"claimed" them in the first place.

JL