McWhorter on "Negro" [Was: on "Negro English"]

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 18 23:14:06 UTC 2010

As for adj/sing.n. distinction, I could have been more clear and, yes,
accurate. But I described it as "individual" rather than a grammatical
category.

As for South Africans, a SA acquaintance in the Netherlands routinely
uses "coloured(s)" for all non-Caucasians--but, of course, he's no
longer in SA. I suppose, it could be worse--he could have used any one
of a range of Afrikaans racial insults.

     VS-)