semantic shift: "shrapnel"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 19 00:23:18 UTC 2010

>>Might as well just reduce it all to grunting and pointing.

I'm ready.

But let's not misunderstand the difference by "prescriptive" and
"descriptive."  Prescriptivism became an ugly word because in the prehistory
of modern linguistics (that's before the publication of Saussure's _Course
in General Linguistics_ in 1916) language study (outside of etymology and
historical reconstruction) was extremely impressionistic. Writers of usage
guides and general discussions often simply assumed that written, formal
English was the "real" language, and everything else was a crude
approximation.  So they prescribed what they liked and decried what they
didn't. They often based their judgments on Latin ("Don't split an
infinitive!" Why not? "Because  infinitives in Classical Latin are one word
and you can't split them! Ha!"), on myopic resistance to any change at all
(even if the change had been going on for decades or centuries), and a
childlike faith in the etymological fallacy (that a word should-must-does
mean what it meant in the earliest documents and that's that).

Without going into all the reasons why these attitudes were short-sighted,
unenlightening, and often just plain wrong:  modern linguists, who were
interested almost exclusively in description and analysis, realized that
linguistic prescriptivism was as scientifically baseless as, let's say,
zoological prescriptivism ("The skunk should not emit a stink!  Those that
do should be ashamed!"). Probably a bad analogy but the best I can do at the
moment.

What a purely descriptive linguist ignores is the fact that usage has social
consequences. Prescriptivists may often, even usually, be biased and even
arbitrary,  but any nonlinguist who learned to write carefully and clearly
is likely to be prescriptive at heart. The point, as I've said before, is
not to sound like a lamebrain in the presence of people eager to make such
judgments, i.e., most people. (Ever notice how prescriptive teens get when
somebody uses an uncool word like "tarnation"?)

Who knows whether shrapnel = shard will ever supplant the better established
usage (which supplanted original technical usage long ago)?  My interest was
primarily in getting it noticed just in case it does catch on and to comment
on how weird it was.

If somebody trusts me and Wilson and David that it sounds weird, and
believes that serious people (like us - there's strike one!) will likely
think it the mark of the lamebrain, that somebody will probably avoid it. In
fact for just that reason I prescribe that they avoid it like the plague
But we can't stop all of them.  It's impossible. Try it.

In a nutshell, language change is unpredictable and unstoppable. Some
novelties stick, some do not.  Those that cause confusion will be
compensated for by another change elsewhere. Do we relish the fact that
English will some day become Inglish? I don't, but I can't help it, any more
than tenth-century monks could have stopped Old English from losing most of
its case-ending grammar and turning into Middle English, or Nero could have
kept Latin from turning into Italian.  Vergil would have found Dante's
Italian  incomprehensible and illiterate. That's life.

My unscientific advice to writers: don't sound like a dope.

JL