What's the Muslim equivalent of "hecksher"?

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 19 01:30:37 UTC 2010

My son and daughter just brought home an interesting package of cookies from
a Vietnamese supermarket in South Philadelpha (Hung Vuong). The labeling
includes

==========
Product of Taiwan

I-MEI
CREAM WAFERS
Coffee
Gaufrettes De Crème de Café
(Chinese that's probably parallel but which I'm not prepared to input here)
==========

and then this, which is the real fun part:

Supervised
By The Juridical
Body Of The Chinese
Muslim Association
Taichung
Mosque Taiwan

-- in an oval, between a crescent moon on the right, a 5-pointed star on the
left, and HALAL below in Roman letters and above in Arabic.

In Judaism the corresponding item is called a "hecksher" or "hechsher", and
there are thousands of different ones in use worldwide.* What term(s)
is/used for a certification that food is halal?

*http://www.hechshers.info/shapes/index.htm
http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/kosher/lifestyle/kosher-certifying-standards.asp
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/judaism/FAQ/11-Miscellaneous/section-20.html
http://www.kashrusmagazine.com/