McWhorter on "Negro" [Was: on "Negro English"]

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Tue Jan 19 11:04:53 UTC 2010

Funny story. It is 1967/68. I am at USC and have a part-time job flipping
burgers in a local fast food joint. My boss was a black woman. So, one day
there is some confusion about one of the orders and the boss says to me,
"Who ordered this burger?" Now, it happens that it was a young black guy who
had ordered the burger. So, I say, "That guy," and sort of nod my head in
his direction. She says, "Which guy?" Now I must narrow down the
identifiers, and, given the times, I am in an absolute panic about how to
identify him, not knowing which term might or might not get me into trouble.
So I say, "That guy over there," and nod my head more vigorously. "What
guy?" she asks, starting to get irritated. "That guy over by the door."
"Damn! Which guy by the door." I raise my voice in frustration a bit and
say, "That guy there, in the blue shirt." "What?" she says, "The colored
guy?" (Ah ha!) "Yep," I say, oozing relief, "the colored guy." "Well, why
didn't you just say so?" Why, indeed?

I only got one rule: Never bet money that you don't have on a dog race with
your ex-girlfriend who happens to be a stripper.