"idiocentric" and should it be in the OED [Was: Alasdair Gray mainly]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 19 16:38:10 UTC 2010

At 10:39 AM -0500 1/19/10, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>At 1/19/2010 10:27 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>>maybe you were aiming for "idiosyncratic".
>
>Apparently!  Although I did find some support via Google: about
>10,900 hits, 634 in Google Books (enough for the OED? Or is it too
>simple a combination of idio- and -centric?), and the following:
>Web definitions for idiocentric
>         characterized by or denoting interest centered upon oneself
>or one's own ways, rather than upon others or the ways of others;
>self-centered ...
>en.wiktionary.org/wiki/idiocentric
>
>But "-syncratic" fits my intention better anyway.

Well, I only found 9950 ghits for "idiocentric", but that's still a
lot more than the one hit for "egosyncratic", to wit:

Connectionist Model of Memory (SAN) & Intro to Images
Organization of concepts in memory is egosyncratic, i.e. it is
different from person to person.
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/classes/AY2002/cs3790_spring/.../index.html

Those googlewhacky connectionists!

LH