dying a death

Judy Prince jbalizsprince at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 20 01:07:50 UTC 2010

BB,

Anecdotal only, I've heard and used "died the death" only in the sense that
Robin cites below, namely:  "Usually something which expires slowly, never
the literal sense of death, and possibly connected with the showbiz
use of talking about a play or show dying when it bombs."

A USAmerican, I've only known "died the death" to mean a performance that
failed utterly.  Hence, standup comedy performers, or actors, or musicians
"die the death" if they're embarrassingly unsuccessful in a particular
performance.

I might right now be dying the death through over-explaining.

Best,

Judy