apple davy?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jan 20 21:53:00 UTC 2010

At 1/20/2010 03:53 PM, Robin Hamilton wrote:
>>Apple Davie, currant Tarn,
>>Sugar rollie, black nmri.
>>
>>(XairTi)
>>
>>[I warned you the scanning was poor!  And I don't know what "XairTi"
>>might be or mean; this its only appearance in the scan.]
>
>The original has:
>
>        Apple Davie, currant Tam,
>        Sugar rollie, black man.
>                                                    (Nairn)
>
>-- so Nairn, in Scotland.

I did see Nairn in another snippet, although preceding this rhyme,
and Buchan was another clue.  :-)  But I was reluctant to assert that
"XairTi" was "Nairn" mis-scanned!  Somehow it led my mind not to the
Northern but to the Middle Kingdom.

Now, Robin, tell us what "(a) currant Tam" is!  I don't see any clues
in the DSL.  A childish pronunciation of "jam"??

Joel