"Blue Northern" [was "Nor'easter"]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 21 02:52:09 UTC 2010

Personally, I'm with that unknown writer for Sky King and sticking
with "blue norther," if for no reason other than that I've believed
that to be the form for about 65 years. IAC, with age, one
stereotypically becomes set in one's ways.

What's wrong with today's teenagers?! ;-)

-Wilson

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Blue Northern" [was "Nor'easter"]
>
> At 10:18 AM -0500 1/20/10, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>>They seem to cut and paste from one another frequently.  If no one's
>>actually heard the n, I'd say ignore it.
>>
>>JL
>>

> There are a couple thousand hits for "blow you old blue norther",
> which is the way I've always heard it.  Let me check...  Yes, Judy
> Collins indeed sings it with the "n".  I have it mentally stored
> without one, though, so I'm figuring that was from the Ian and Sylvia
> version that I unfortunately don't have on iTunes.
>
> I agree that it's frustrating to use the web for song lyrics--same
> typos appear on all the different sites, no author credit ever
> appears (making it look as though the song has as many writers as
> recording artists), and (crucially for my usual purposes) no reliable
> date.
>
> LH
>

>>On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Geoffrey Nathan
>><geoffnathan at wayne.edu>wrote:
>>
>>>  ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>>>  -----------------------
>>>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>>  Poster:       Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>
>>>  Subject:      Re: "Blue Northern" [was "Nor'easter"]
>>>

>>>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>  I put the 'n' in (although I'd never noticed it in the song, which has been
>>>  covered by others, notably Judy Collins, incidentally) mostly because all
>>>  copies of the lyrics I could find online had it.
>>>
>>>  It's tricky looking up lyrics online because many of the Google hits seem
>>>  to wind you up at iffy sites that I'm rather wary of (I actually am an IT
>>>  Security professional in my other life--I don't just play one on TV).
>>>

>>>http://www.musicsonglyrics.com/K/kingstontriolyrics/kingstontriosomedaysoonlyrics.htm
>>>
>>>  http://www.roughstock.com/cowpie/songs/s/suzy-bogguss/someday-soon
>>>
>>>  Geoff
>>>
>>>  Geoffrey S. Nathan
>>>  Faculty Liaison, C&IT
>>>  and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
>>>  +1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
>>>  +1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)

–––
–Mark Twain