apple davy?

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Thu Jan 21 02:56:14 UTC 2010

> At 1/20/2010 07:10 PM, Robin Hamilton wrote:
>>... thus "currant Tam" is [derived from] "a roon [round] currant-scone".
>
> To be simple-minded, does a "roon" scone become a "Tam" from the
> hat's shape?  And from no less an authority, on its "TAM" page, "tam
> (cap) a *round* woolen cap originating in Scotland" (emphasis added).

Of course!  That's it Joel, last link supplied, round currant scone => round
[now] Tammy hat.  Tammies, immortalised in Burns' "Tam o' Shanter".  Neat.

> But if you meant that "scone" was obscure, or if you ask one what a
> dormouse is, well ... for the first, Americans could go to Starbucks.

Well, given that there's even an English/Scottish problem here, since I
pronounce "scone" to rhyme with the past tense of the verb "to shine" and
the English mispronounce it to rhyme with something a dog gnaws, I'm
reluctant to try to discover just what Americans understand by "scone"  by
making a field trip to the nearest branch of Starbucks and ordering one.  I
mean, the confusions which could be generated by the dialogue might be
awkward.

        "He jimmy, seeuz a treacle scone wi ma cappochino."

        "Uh.  Just what do you mean by that, sir?"

        "Whit dyae mean, whit dae I mean?  Snow that obvious?  Ah mean ah
want a *coffee, an a black bun tae go wi it, but!"

        "Right, that's it, you're banned.  Out you go, you and the ass you
rode in on."

Robin