College / university (was: branch of 'Omission of definite article')

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jan 21 14:06:09 UTC 2010

In the US, of course, we (or at least some of us) do things
differently from the home country.

Colleges have Houses (or at least Harvard, the ancestor of almost all
American colleges, does).  The University is something larger, having
specialty "schools", like medicine, engineering, law, etc.

And (saying nothing new or surprising), if an inquiring adult asks
"and where are you going to school?", the student answers "I'm at
college now", not "at the college" (nor "at university" -- perhaps
because the university is too diverse; the questioner would be left
wondering which speciality).  "Habituation", or continuing action or
place?  But if a friend tweets asking "where are you going to be
today", the student might answer "I'm at the college". Momentary
place?  (Although saying "at (the) college" is perhaps too imprecise
a response to both questions, I think the absence/presence of "the" is right.)

And surely a Harvard student would say "I'm at Hoar House", not "I'm
at the Hoar House" -- that would mean something entirely different.

And at my private (the US meaning -- that is, not government-run)
school, I went through all of sixth form in one year.  First form was
7th grade, sixth form was the last year of high school.  Apparently
my school went through the forms twice as fast as Damian's
example.  Or perhaps an external observer would say we were slow
(dumb), and had to repeat grades -- the elementary school grades were
called first through sixth (grades); the junior/senior high school
grades were again called first through sixth (forms).

Just one question for Damian -- if his sister's school had 12 years
in 6 pairs of lower and upper, what were the remaining 2 years of the
14 between 4 and 18 called?  "Lower" and "upper" kindergarten?  :-)

Joel