Request for member withdrawal

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Thu Jan 21 16:16:35 UTC 2010

> The town of Cary NC no longer has a Christmas Tree in December...it is now
> "Community Tree", so I 'm guessing Christmas is now everybody's and
> nobodys.

Um ...

Run that past me again, Bill.  "Town A no longer has X.  ...  No town any
longer has X."

Is there such a thing as the Fallacy of the Illicit Extension?

> The reaction to Sen Reid's use of the word "negro" in referring to the
> president.

Given how much of this reaction (seems to have been) politically motivated,
I think it's difficult to conclude anything from this other than that
politicians will be politicians, in more than several senses.

> The need for so many to demonstrate their finely honed racial sensitivity
> and cultural awareness, by trying to slay the Tom Z dragon.

Well, I wasn't personally offended by Tom's use of the word "darkie," more
gobsmacked and utterly incredulous at his apparent inability to recognise
the resonances involved.  I mean, this is a linguistics list, nah?  We're
supposed to be sensitive to nuances of language, surely.

So my response was to shake my head sadly and think, "Oh dear, oh dear,
dear, dear ..."

I'd grown accustomed over the years to Outraged From Tunbridge Wells writing
infuriated letters to the local paper in green ink, but I was rather
disconcerted to find it here.

Invincible ignorance may not be punishable at law, but it does come with a
price tag.

Having said all that, I'm entirely with Jonathan Lighter here.  Expulsion is
a nuclear option.

Robin