Request for member withdrawal

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Thu Jan 21 17:08:25 UTC 2010

I've pretty much ignored Tom Truespell's posts since he began posting
on this list some time ago, because he seemed more interested in
promoting his phonetical hobby horse than in discussing the kinds of
topics that surface here, but the current thread prompted me to go to
the archives to see what was up.

Those archives confirmed my first impression, that Truespell's posts
seem to me to remain generally disconnected from most ADS-l discourse,
and he seems utterly unaware that his own serious lack of audience
awareness can cause problems.

A little googling shows that Truespell has also been trolling English-
teacherly websites, also in the hopes of promoting his fanatic
spelling scheme, though apparently on those sites he hasn't generated
much discussion among participants -- it's clear that he's not a
teacher, and never has been, but is instead a retired civil servant
with time on his hands and a need to write letters to the editor.

It's interesting to see how online communities regulate member
behavior -- everything from rational discussions about the
appropriateness of expulsion or censure to open flaming to off-list
counseling. Fortunately, email programs typically allow users to
create "rules" to block unwanted email or route it directly to the
trash. On an open list like ADS-l, that may be the most effective way
to deal with such posts. The other option is to close the list. Asking
a troller to withdraw tends not to be very effective, since one goal
of trollers is to promote discord and to get discussants to move off
topic.

Over the years I've learned to respond to nutty email the same way
that I used to respond to nutty snail mail before it: don't engage the
person in discussion, because they see even a negative response as an
invitation for continued contact. I  keep a file of the hate mail,
both paper and electronic, that I sometimes receive in response to op
ed essays on language issues -- yes, linguists getting hate mail, what
a concept! -- things like "you shouldn't be allowed to teach" or
"you've obviously never been in a classroom" or, my favorite, in
response to an essay about multilingualism, "when the revolution
comes, comrade Baron, your ass is mine!" --  but I've learned not to
respond to the senders, even senders who seem just a tad rational,
because it turns out that they're not rational at all, just high-
functioning when they take their meds.

Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics
Department of English