political correctn

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 22 01:32:20 UTC 2010

At 10:52 PM +0000 1/21/10, ronbutters at aol.com wrote:
>And for good reason.
>
>  Race is determined by genes.
>
>  Political beliefs are determined by greed vs. altruism, stupidity
>vs. intelligence,  fear vs. courage, etc.

Which would also explain why derisive comments based on sexual
orientation or national origin are equally offensive, but it does
seem to suggest that such comments based on religion ("religious
preference" or "church preference"--I always put Gothic when asked
the latter) are fair game.

As far as treatments of "political correctness", the term and the
concept, there's a nice chapter with historical perspective in
Deborah Cameron's book _Verbal Hygiene_.

LH