Question about slang " Tango" (=enemy)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 23 01:59:11 UTC 2010

I first encountered "Tango" in the Navy SEAL novels by Richard Marcinko and
John Weisman, beginning with the quasi-factual _Rogue Warrior_ (Simon &
Schuster, 1993), p. 315: "If I was a fucking tango I wouldn't go around
pissing away my tactical fucking surprise with any fucking RPG."

Former navy lieutenant commander Marcinko uses the word exclusively (AFAIK)
to mean "terrorist" and not "enemy" in general:

1995 Marcinko & Wesiman  _Red Cell_, (N.Y.: S&S) 389: "Tango Adam
Henry...radio talk for terrorist asshole."

Someone else may know whether "Target down!" is a customary phrase.

JL