_Dittybopper_

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 23 15:01:15 UTC 2010

The latest OED finds it in a rap song of 1986 by The Fresh Force.  By the
end of October there were at least two "skeezer" rap songs driving parents
nuts:

1986 Nelson George in *Billboard* (Oct. 25) 69: Those of you who don’t know
what a “skeezer” is and wonder what the Fresh Force is singing about on its
Sutra 12-inch “She’s a Skeezer,” don’t ask your son. You might embarrass
him.  Ibid. 72: UTFO…Skeezer Pleezer.

FWIW, there was a 1983 TV movie called _Skeezer_, about a lovable bitch. A
dog.  Get it? The semantic link is close enough in theory, at least until
something better surfaces. (I'm talking etymology, not antedating. The
influence of "sleaze" must not be discounted.)  The movie was based on
Elizabeth Yates's very popular kids' book, _Skeezer: Dog with a Mission_
(1973).

Yates may have gotten the name from the "Skeezers" prominent in Baum's
_Glinda of Oz_ (1920) (there's even a Skeezer Queen).  But they're rather
different from today's bad-girl skeezers.

I also have documentary proof, from _Life_ magazine, that young women have
been calling young men "sluts" since at least the 1980s.  Sounds very weird,
but I hear it a lot on TV.

JL