Guido x 2

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 23 21:08:49 UTC 2010

I don't know about Jersey Shore, but back in the early 1980s, as an ESL
speaker, I was certainly aware of friends joking about "Guido the
pimp"--the stereotype, not the character in Risky Business. And, yes,
Risky Business was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the
header. And the denomination, at the time, was certainly pejorative.
Because the period in question was 1983-84, it is hard to separate the
expression from the movie--whether the film reinforced the stereotype or
created it only the script writers would know. But it makes perfect
sense that the term entered slang (or became recognizes as such)
four-five years later.

Now, for "pimp": did the term evolve over the tears? An 1874 dictionary
on GB lists pimp (n.) as "a man who provides gratification for the lust
of others". Is this a euphemism or did the meaning really change?

     VS-)