Guido x 2

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 24 00:12:06 UTC 2010

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> The _New Yorker_ discussed precisely the same phenomenon WRT _Jersey Shore_
> last week.
>
> Whatever the origin of the species, HDAS 1 traces the designation _Guido_
> back to 1988-89. My SWAG is that it was inspired by Joe Pantoliano's
> character "Guido" in the teen megahit _Risky Business_  (1983).

In (I think) the fall of 1989, I adjuncted for a semester at Stony
Brook. As I traveled around Long Island on buses and trains, I spent
some time trying to pinpoint a particular and distinctive male accent
that I heard a lot of; it seemed to be lower middle class or working
class Italian-American, and it was characterized by a higher proportion
of (phonologically) voiced stops being truly pre-voiced. Most people in
the area knew exactly what I was talking about, even if they couldn't
help with actual details. And one person interrupted me part way through
my description with "Guidos, right?"

Alice

Alice Faber                                       faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                            tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                               fax (203) 865-8963