Fw: guido guidette

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 24 14:43:01 UTC 2010

One additional highlight of the Virginia
Heffernan piece in today's N. Y. Times Magazine
section
(http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/magazine/24FOB-medium-t.html)
is a nice example of a plural pronoun with
singular sex-known but indefinite antecedent, a
phenomenon we've discussed in the past.*  Here's
Sammi Sweetheart, describing the role she plays
in the MTV Reality show, "Jersey Shore", as
quoted by Heffernan

"A Guidette takes really good care of themselves,
has pretty hair, cakes on makeup, has tan skin,
wears the hottest heels."

LH

*My examples of this non-epicene singular "they" include:

a.  No mother should be forced by federal
prosecutors to testify against their
child.                        --Monica Lewinsky's
mother's attorney

b.  Someone left their sweater.
--note left in Yale classroom next to what was obviously a women's sweater

c.  Who knows what crazy idea she's going to come
up with.  She may have met someone in the
checkout line at the grocery store and she's
planning to marry them.
--Garrison Keillor monologue, Prairie Home Companion, 3/9/02

d.  I told the guys this is the team.  But I do
have a nucleus of guys who will be on the ice
more. I plan to sit down with each individual and
line out their role.
--John Cunniff, new coach of New Jersey Devils'
(all-men's) hockey team, on being asked about
personnel changes; NYT 11/ 8/89

e.  I challenge you to find a lesbian who doesn't
want to see themselves portrayed on television.
--actress on Showtime's The L-Word

f.  WHO WEARS WHITE DURING THEIR PERIOD?
--from a panty-liner commercial on television