a deadly game of cat and mouse

Mon Jan 25 00:16:01 UTC 2010

Here are some more examples of the cliche that combines "deadly" with
"cat and mouse". In the 1920 cite the phrase "cat and mouse" is put in
quotation marks. In the 1942 cite the phrase "cat and mouse game" is
put in quotes, and in 1945 the quotes are omitted.

Citation: 1920 July 12, The Daily Mail (London), "At the Villa Rose,"
Mr. A. E. W. Mason's Strong Drama at the Strand, Page 5, London.
(NewspaperArchive)

Always best in strongly marked character-parts, Mr. Arthur Bourchier
played the serio-comic detective with reserved force that gave power
to his amusing but deadly "cat and mouse" manoeuvres. His disguise as
the hirsute villain delighted a small boy who likes to see people turn
into other people, and who may stand for the great public.

Citation: 1942 June 5, The Lowell Sun, Gen. Rommel Trying to Reform
Forces, Page 37, Lowell, Massachusetts. (NewspaperArchive)

The main campaign presently might he described as a deadly "cat and
mouse game" as the British attempt to hold Rommel's forces in the
minefield area in the hope of smashing them before they can reorganize
for an offensive or retreat through the gaps to the west.

Citation: 1945 February 09, Long Beach Independent, Roer River Dams
Big Prize to Yanks by Frank Conniff, Page 20, Long Beach, California.
(NewspaperArchive)

After allied and German armies maneuvered throughout the winter in a
deadly cat and mouse campaign to seize or protect the dams, American
gains enabled the veil of secrecy to be withdrawn from the action.

Garson