ears peeled

Michael Sheehan wordmall at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 25 15:12:22 UTC 2010

I came across a similar extension of sensory description a few years
ago when a listener asked why there is no hard of seeing to match hard
of hearing.

Hard of hearing was extended to hard of seeing by the New York State
Services for the Blind: “Sometimes people refer to low vision as being
‘hard of seeing’ or a little bit blind.”

The Smelly Car episode of Seinfeld contained this exchange.
Jerry:  “Do you smell something?”
Elaine:  “Do I smell something? What am I, hard of smelling?”

 From the Times-Picayune: “Sometimes, there’s too much of a good
thing, especially when flavors are boosted to levels that seem pitched
to the hard-of-tasting.”

I never did find a decent instance of hard of touching.

Mike Sheehan
seniors.tcnet.org=