Sports Subjunctive Indicative

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 25 19:03:01 UTC 2010

At 12:51 PM -0500 1/25/10, Seán Fitzpatrick wrote:
>I think this has been discussed.  I gather it is
>a very common syntax among the commenters on
>"Sports Center" type shows:
>
>QUOTATION OF THE DAY
>"With Peyton Manning, you can't disrupt his rhythm, he's going to kill you."
>COACH REX RYAN, on the quarterback of the
>Indianapolis Colts, who threw three touchdown
>passes to end the Jets' run to the Super Bowl.
>  http://snurl.com/u6rzg - Colts Put Emphatic End
>to Jets' Surprising Run - NYTimes.com
>
>Seán Fitzpatrick

This seems more like an enthymematic conditional,
paraphrased by "If you can't...".  I've referred
to the related but more marked sportscasterese
construction--"If Favre doesn't throw that
interception, the Vikings kick the field goal and
win the game"--as the PICFC (present indicative
counterfactual conditional) in earlier ADS-L
posts, and more recently as the SCFHP (sports
counterfactual historical present). Kai von
Fintel at MIT (who blogs about it at
http://kaivonfintel.org/) calls it the
sportscasterese present indicative counterfactual
conditional. He gives the (constructed) example

"If Ramirez doesn't catch that, it's a double and
the tying run is in scoring position."

Some actual cites:
======================
After spectacular catch by David Justice that
prevents the winning run from coming in,  the
announcer says, "If Justice doesn't catch that
it's a double and the go-ahead run is in."
(October 1995, cited by novelist David Carkeet in
New York Times "On Language" column)
======================
  "If the shortstop doesn't boot the easy
double-play ball, nobody's talking about the fan
who interfered with Alou catching the foul ball."
(TV announcer after inning that cost Cubs 2003
pennant; note actual present counterfactual in
apodosis)
======================
"If the ball [ground-rule double hit by Yankees'
Tony Clark] doesn't bounce into the stands, the
run scores and the game ends an hour and a half
ago."
(Fox TV analyst Tim McCarver over replay of
crucial event in 9th inning of Game 5 that may
have been the turning point in the 2004 ACLS
comeback win by Red Sox over Yankees; note ago)
======================
"If he (Green) doesn't throw that cup, Artest doesn't go up into the stands."
(Oakland County Prosecutor David Gorcyca, on
filing charges for Nov. 19 brawl, including two
counts of assault and battery filed against John
Green; from ABC World News Tonight, 12/8/04; cf.
"If Artest doesn't go in(to) the stands [Šthere
is no riot]":  72 google hits)
======================
non-overt conditional with tense shift:
from Avery Johnson, former guard and now
assistant coach of the NBA Dallas Mavericks:
"Last year, we don't win this game," Johnson
said.     (post-game TV news conf., 5/19/03)
======================
present with non-past (but counterfactual) reference:
Knoblauch disputes Steinbrenner's claim (espn.com, 9/2/00)
NEW YORK -- Chuck Knoblauch fired back at Yankees owner George Steinbrenner
on Saturday after The Boss once again questioned
his second baseman's injured arm.
"If I don't have the throwing problem, no one
questions if I'm hurt," Knoblauch said in
a profanity-laced interview.
====================
The New York Times
March 27, 2006 Monday, D7
HEADLINE: With Vinatieri, Colts May Have the Edge
By DAVE ANDERSON  [*emphasis* added]

For all of Coach Bill Belichick's ''genius'' and
all of Tom Brady's passes, [New England Patriots'
kicker Adam] Vinatieri was often the difference
between the Patriots' winning and losing, notably
in their three Super Bowl triumphs in four
seasons. In addition to his last-second field
goals (against the Rams in 2002 and against the
Panthers in 2004), his 22-yarder against the
Eagles in 2005 was the eventual margin in a 24-21
victory.

  His even more important field goal was the
45-yarder in the snow that forced overtime
against the Raiders in the playoffs after the
2001 season. ''I think that's the best kick I
have ever seen,'' Belichick said in saluting
Vinatieri for having broken Gino Cappelletti's
franchise record for points in a Dec. 4 game last
season against the Jets. ''Because of the
conditions and because of what was at stake on
that kick. I mean, that is the game. *If he
doesn't make that kick, it is over.* We don't win
that game without that kick. So that wasn't the
win, that was the tie, so it is over.''

  *If Vinatieri doesn't make that kick in the
snow, that Patriots team doesn't go on to win the
Super Bowl* at the Louisiana Superdome on
Vinatieri's 48-yarder against the Rams as time
expired.
(Notice that the last example involves the use of
a SCFHP by a Pulitzer-prize winning columnist.)

I think it's been Language Logged too, but I don't know under what.

LH