Heard on local NE PA news

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 26 18:12:31 UTC 2010

At 12:02 PM -0600 1/26/10, Gordon, Matthew J. wrote:
>Do you really have /hausiz/ for the 3rd sg. verb form? That root has
>final /z/ for me (and the OED).

No, I don't really.  My mistake.  Even the base form of the verb
"(to) house" has a voiced "s" for me, and the 3rd singular has two.
My remark on the possessive "house's" stands, though--although the
possessive plural "houses'" has voicing.  But of course the real
question is about (metaphorical) "powerhou[s]es" (which are not
houses) vs. literal "powerhou[z]es" which works like "lighthouses",
"outhouses", etc.

LH