ears peeled

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 26 18:34:44 UTC 2010

At 1:22 PM -0500 1/26/10, Robin Hamilton wrote:
>Chicken and egg (I could check) but did "stone blind" (for completely blind)
>emerge before, or out of, "sand (semi) blind"?
>
>I'd guess the former (I seem to recall it comes up in Shakespeare
>somewhere), but I *am guessing.
>
>Robin

Unclear.  The first cite for "sandblind" in the OED is 15th c. but
apparently undatable otherwise, but the etymological listing insists
that it is "probably a perversion" of OE "samblind".  "Stone-blind"
and is attested (as "stane-blynde") in 1375; the second cite is from
1591, and comes from a book whose title, _Conny Catching_, evokes
another recent thread.

LH