sand-blind /gravel-blind

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jan 26 21:46:39 UTC 2010

An interesting juxtaposition of "sand" and "gravel" in the
Shakespeare.  Does that suggest that "sandblind" did NOT come from
"sam" or "semi" blind?  No, it seems:  the OED claims "gravel-blind"
is "Orig. high-gravel-blind, in Shakes. a jocular intensive synonym
for SAND-BLIND. Hence used by later writers for 'nearly
stone-blind'." and gives the same MofV quote.  (Reminds me of the
discussion of "mote" and "beam".)

For "sandblind, the OED's etymology seems a little ambivalent -- one
the one hand, sam- = semi, half.  On the other, "Cf. Johnson's
explanation: 'Having a defect in the eyes, by which small particles
appear to fly before them'.", for which "small particles" suggests
sand.  Or does "cf." in the OED mean what "attributed in" means in
the YBQ -- "probably incorrect"?

Joel