Q: Translate the "Yanker didel" lyrics?

Wed Jan 27 22:44:45 UTC 2010

Isn't there also a derivation from "Janke"  (i. e. "Johnny", with the
-ke(n) diminutive of the Northern dialects or Low German)?   I took
Dutch many moons ago, and fool around with dialect variation in
Dutch, but....the first three lines look like vocables to me and
nothing more--I couldn'f find anything like "lanter".  "Botermilk" is
fine--Dutch "botermelk".  "Tanther" for "tiende?"  West Flemish, or
even better, Zeelandic (few Belgians came to NY) has a short vowel
there, and the resulting /E/ is lowered to [æ] too, so that might
work, but "buttermilk" comes out as "beutermulk" (I think) down
there.  Otherwise, just junk: "tante" = "aunt", of course, and
"tanden" (silent n) is "teeth".  Doesn't make sense.

Paul Johnston

I'm not fluent in Dutch either, but