make best

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Fri Jan 29 14:36:28 UTC 2010

> An AP report on the Yahoo News page gives this:
>
> << The former British Prime Minister [Tony Blair] said that before Sept.
> 11 he thought "Saddam was a menace, that he was a threat, he was a
> monster, but we would have to try and make best." >>
>
> Does "try and make best" represent a normal British English idiom, or is
> it a misprint?
>
> --Charlie

Only thing I can think of is that it's a mishearing/misreporting of "try and
make [the] best [of it]" -- as it stands, it doesn't sound like anything
even The Smile would utter.

Certainly not an idiom I've ever come on.

Robin