Weather and other conversation topics

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Jan 30 16:12:25 UTC 2010

Enjoyable excerpts, and good advice about topics.  My personal rule
is negative:  I tell people I never talk about three topics --
politics, religion, and [whatever is the current topic of the boring
person who's currently talking to me].

The New York essayist of February 1826 is also quite up to date on
current events:  Cooper published "The Last of the Mohicans" in
January; and 1825 marked Edmund Kean's second visit to America.  (How
new and interesting an American topic coal was in 1826 I have no idea
-- perhaps "the Oldest Inhabitant", in addition to the weather, can
be consulted about that.)

Joel