Sambo -- not 1861 or 1704, but 1657

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Jan 31 18:39:41 UTC 2010

At 1/31/2010 10:38 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Know what?  "Sambo" may actually be the earliest ex. of this kind of generic
>naming in English.
>
>Am I right?
>
>JL

Jon, I haven't made the kind of search that might demonstrate this
(which of course is more amenable to disproof than to proof).  My
discovery of the 1657 "Sambo" was serendipitous -- I happened across
it in a quotation used by a secondary source.  But I do not recall
seeing myself other generic names this early -- I think if I had I
would have noted them here.

There is also the supposition in some dictionaries that "Sambo" comes
from a tribe called the "Samboses".  See my message in the ADS-L
archives, "Re: Sambo as a slave name -- etymology?", 2007 Dec
28.  That mentions "The second voyage of John Hawkins, 1564-1565";
possibly published in Hakluyt, _Principal Navigations_.  That might
push "Sambo" back another century.  (I have not looked further into this.)

Joel